- 5-6kgs Butterball Premium Young Turkey( fresh or frozen and fully thawed)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ bunch chopped fresh parsley
- Let the turkey rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer to oven rack 1 level below center and preheat oven to 350 degrees near end of resting.
- Pat the outside of the turkey and dry well with paper towels. Dry the inside as well. Tuck wings under turkey. Season cavity well with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl stir together butter, lemon zest, thyme and rosemary. Using the back end of a wooden spoon and starting at the back end of the turkey, carefully separate the skin from the breast leaving skin intact between breasts, front area and sides. Be careful not to tear the skin or butter will melt out as it bakes.
- Transfer turkey to a large roasting pan with a roasting rack.
- Using the end of the spoon again stuff and spread about ⅓ of the butter in total into each portion and rub hands over turkey skin to smooth around.
- Rub remaining ⅔ of the butter all over turkey, except underside. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Stuff onion, garlic and parsley into cavity of turkey. Tie legs together with kitchen twine for a better presentation.
- Bake in preheated oven until thickest portion of thigh (without touching bone) registers 165 – 175 degrees on a probe thermometer or instant read thermometer for about 2 ½ hours to 3 ½ hours, while tenting top of turkey with aluminum foil during baking as needed to prevent excessive browning.
- Let turkey rest for around 30 minutes and then carve.